Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Muddling Along

If I made a list of everyone in the world I know and ranked them in order of who I would want to take care of 'sick' people, I would put my dogs higher on it then me. I am not a natural caregiver. The hand holding and being patient isn't my strength. I am the person you call if you want to get shit done. I am a doer, not a carer. So having the opportunity to take care of my parents for a few days has been a challenge.

I have broken my days into the things I need to do which include: making sure everyone has their meds, making sure everyone is fed, making sure everyone has drinks, walking the dog, and doing light housework. I have made this about doing and more than caring.

The biggest challenge is the feeding people. I am not a cook. The first night was the scariest - Mom had lamb chops out to cook, so that is what I needed to cook.  Dad showed me how to turn on the BBQ and Sam nearly died laughing walking me through the cooking of them via FaceTime. I also baked sweet potatoes, asparagus and peas.

My parents had low expectations for this meal (summed up by the following: my mom asking if I knew to lower the rack in the oven before cooking the potatoes, and Sam asking "what were they thinking?"  and "can you order a pizza instead?"). In the end dinner looked like this:


It came out better than expected. More than edible! 

Night two, I decided to play to my strengths and make a pasta dish my parents love. It turned out ok too. 


My dad also wanted ice cream so I made him a banana split. He says it isn't a real banana split because we didn't have maraschino cherries and I had to use a real cherry.


Night 3 - first roasted chicken dinner. The chicken wasn't totally cooked at the bone even though I followed my mom and the internets instructions. But enough was safe for dinner and then I cooked it more for leftovers. 


In the end, I kept my parents alive and at least didn't make things worse:)


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you rose to the occasion! Hope your mom is better now!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete